Tuesday, June 7, 2011

My First Two Decades of Life

 


    
            At 9:40 a.m. on June 8, 1991 I came into this world as a blonde and chubby six pound, six ounce baby girl. Two minutes earlier, my twin sister, Kelly, had been pulled from my mother’s cesarean-sectioned belly. Yep. A whole 9 months swimming around with another naked human being… gross. Kelly and I “miracle babies” accounted for the final of four children had by my parents.

             (By the way, mom weighed close to 190 pounds with us inside. She miraculously got back to her original weight within a few months and has looked magnificent ever since.)
            Five days later, my mom and dad took me home to a small yellow house in Ransomville, NY where I began my life as Kayla Rose O’Keefe. (Kelly had to stay an extra day because of jaundice.)
            I never attended pre-school, but learned the basics of reading and writing, how to tie my shoes, share and get along with others with the help of my brother, Jake; two sisters, Stephanie and Kelly; and my parents.
            At age 5, I attended kindergarten at St. Peter Lutheran School in Lockport. I met other children who helped me learn more about my faith, building friendships and about myself in general.
            Mid-way through the year, I got glasses. Learning how to read and write at age 6 with absolutely lousy eyesight was tough. To this day I don’t remember what it’s like to see without some sort of contraption helping me.
            By second grade I transferred to W. H. Stevenson Elementary School in Ransomville. The next few years I learned cursive, phonics, addition, subtraction, multiplication and division. I also quickly learned how awfully math and I mixed.
            It wasn’t until fourth grade when one of my favorite teachers, Mrs. McClemont, held me after school to help me one-on-one with my dreadful math skills. Although I was in rough shape, she took weeks out of her life to help me. Looking back, I truly appreciate all her time and effort.
             On September 11, 2001 our fifth grade teacher wouldn’t allow us to go outside for recess. I remember feeling so upset, hurt and confused. Why couldn’t we go out to play? It was such a beautiful afternoon.
            A few hours later when I came home, I realized I had not been the only one upset, hurt and confused that day. Thousands would never see their friends and family members ever again and there I was worried about not getting the first swing on the playground. I realized that day there were and still are huge problems in our world.
            Soon I entered into middle school at Wilson High where I would spend the next three years of my life. I had long blonde hair, atrocious make-up and clothing styles and an awkward gangly figure. At least, after much pleading with my parents, I wore contacts to help my image a bit.
            Sixth grade, hands down, accounted for the most difficult school year of my life academically. I took the transition poorly. If you were late to class, you got detention. You forgot your homework? Sorry, you get a pink slip and detention. I remember coming home every day bawling because I was so  overwhelmed. I somehow survived middle school without ever receiving a detention or pink slip. In fact, I received high honors at the end of almost each semester.
            Middle school also marked the most awkward years of my life. I developed physically, mentally and emotionally. All of these changes happening so fast made it difficult to deal with. So, I got my frustrations out on the cross country course, basketball court, and the track.
            By eighth grade, crushes began, some friendships ended, some began and my overall zest for life grew greater and greater. That year, I made friends with two girls who became my best friends even to this day, Lisa and Karianne. Without them, I wouldn’t have survived the rest of my years in school.
             I entered into high school at Wilson High as a terrified 14-year-old. My math skills allowed me to take part in advanced courses, a huge accomplishment for me.          
              Soon, I involved myself in as many extra-curricular activities as I could bear. Each year I played on the varsity cross-country, basketball and track teams; sang in show choir, women’s choir and ensemble (not to mention four All-County’s and one All-State Choirs); and became a member of the public address staff, Makeup Club, National Honor Society and newspaper staff. I was a busy young teen to say the least. (Oh. I was a class officer for ninth and tenth grade, too.)
            Relationships with a few boys grew into first loves with first kisses, some ending in heartbreak but no regrets. None of my relationships lasted more than a few months. Perhaps the word ‘fling’ is more fitting. I learned a lot about myself and the dating scene altogether.
            My junior year accounted for the most memorable of all four years of high school. For starters, the director of the musical chose me as lead role of ‘Sharpay’ in Disney's High School Musical to be preformed on stage. The nervous-excited sensation of standing on stage with the spotlight hot on my face remains embedded in my mind as one of the most incredible feelings in the whole world.
            Now “memorable” doesn’t necessarily mean good.
            I lost one of my best friends junior year to a horrific car accident. Tim and I had dated prior to the accident for a few months before breaking up, ending on good terms. He took me to his junior prom my sophomore year where we had the greatest time. I was his one and only prom date. On February 26 2008, icy road conditions caused me never to see my best friend ever again.
            That day I learned time was the most precious thing in the entire world. I knew from that second on to make the best out of each and every moment.
            A few months after this tragedy, another occurred. My parents, after 25 years of marriage, divorced. I took it the worst out of all my siblings just because I’m equally close to both of my parents. It sucked then, it sucks now, but I think everyone’s maybe a little happier after all and that’s what really matters…
            Skip ahead a few years to June 2009. After 11 long and exciting years I finally walked across stage at Artpark in Lewiston to receive my diploma; Regents Diploma with Honors to be exact. I woke up that morning to the hottest day of the summer so far with a 103-degree fever. Perfect. I lived through it, however, and was thrilled to move on to the next chapter of my life: college.
            After working two jobs all summer saving as much money as I could, I began my life as a freshman journalism and mass communication major, 100 miles away from home, at St. Bonaventure University. I cried as I waved and watched my parents drive away, leaving me for the first time to fend for myself.
            I met my awesome roommate Brielynn who helped me ease into the college life by listening to all my ridiculous stories and helping me through my problems. We even tried out for cheerleading together, although I had never cheered a day in my life. It ended up an epic fail, but fun at the same time.
            So, I decided to go the complete opposite direction and play rugby. It. Was. Awesome. Joining the team was the best decision I ever made. Little did I know I’d meet two girls, Catherine and Nichole, who would become my best friends and suite mates the following year, along with Kailey. I’ve become so close with many of the girls I’ve met on the team.
             I also met the men’s rugby team who I came to know very quickly “ruled the school.” One of those boys became my boyfriend, Derek. Like I said, joining the team=the best idea… ever.
            After two semesters, two dean’s list accomplishments, an 0-4 rugby season… and countless fun nights, summer was back.
            I worked two jobs once again, and after five years of bussing tables at the Wilson Boat House, I was finally old enough to waitress. I made twice as much money serving than I did bussing. I loved it. I also loved talking to and meeting new people.
            I went to visit Derek a few times, a three hour trek. In July I had the time of my life with him, his friends and his family celebrating his 21st birthday. I often wonder why it took me so long to find him. He’s simply amazing.
            A month later it’s sophomore year with new classes, a new living area and new accomplishments to be made. Our rugby team turned a new leaf in the fall and ended 4-2 in the league. Simply stated: we’re back. I also ended the first semester with a 4.0, my greatest accomplishment in college thus far.
            Second semester had its ups and downs, but as I look back, I had the time of my life doing the things I loved with the greatest people in the world. I also watched Derek walk across the stage to receive his diploma, a degree in computer science… a bittersweet day to say the least.
            Now as I sit here typing this, the summer before my junior year, it’s 80 degrees. I hear birds chirping, lawn mowers and the sound of leaves rustling in the soft breeze. I smile to myself as I think about the past 20 years of my life. It sure had its fair share of unhappy, emotional and trying times but certainly outshined by plenty of thrilling, exciting and happy moments.
            At 20 years old, I couldn’t be happier. I’m healthy, happy, successful and in love. I’m so thankful for everything and everyone in my life. The biggest piece of advice I could give at this point to anyone willing to hear it or embrace it is this: Life is short. Do things that make you happy. Find people to associate with who make you happy. Don’t sweat the small stuff… look at the big picture and smile because you’re alive. Do big things.

2 comments:

  1. Weren't your parents married in the 70s and divorced after you graduated high school? How were you a miracle baby?

    ReplyDelete
  2. They were married in 1979 and separated my junior year and divorced quickly following. That year was the most difficult for me therefore I included it in my story. We were miracle babies because my mom and dad tried hard to have just one more kid after Jake and Steph... they went through a lot of trouble and a few miscarriages but finally ended up with two babies :)

    ReplyDelete